Indicative Prices: $3 - $5
The office (known locally as SPAT)and Museum Collection are located in the heritage listed Old Bellerive Post Office at the junction of Cambridge Road and Queen Street in the historic Bellerive village area. Built of sandstone in 1897 the museum is in the restaurant and retail area, close to galleries, Bellerive Boardwalk, Kangaroo Bay landscaped gardens, Marina, yacht club and wharf. Parking and public toilets are across the road with Bellerive Bluff and Kangaroo Bluff Historic Fort within easy reach. The internationally famous Bellerive Cricket Oval and cricket museum are at the end of Queen Street, with the Bellerive Park and Beach.
The Sound Museum was established in 1989 and has 800 exhibits dating back to sound recording and reproduction from 1903 onwards, plus over 50000 records including early cylinder recordings, related books and sheet music. An early 35 millimetre. cinema projector, home movie cameras, projectors and some television film equipment is also of interest. They also have some early car radio receivers. Volunteer members can demonstrate various restored items. The collection is curated with the Mosaic museum software programme. A limited collection of electronic equipment maintenance manuals is also available.
Visitor Information Centre, Public Toilet, Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids), Caters for people who use a wheelchair.